When it comes to kids- the most experience I have is with my nieces and nephews. When it comes to kids, I think of my sister Lauren as a true expert. Not only is she a mom her self- to my sweet goddaughter and nephew she’s also been a teacher for 10+ years. She’s in the know of what is “in” when it comes to little ones. I met with her recently to get her thoughts and here’s what she suggests.
1-3. Legos are still a huge hit! She also mentioned they have a great resale value so when your kids have outplayed them. There is a set for literally anyone- from the Disney lover on your list to the Dino lovers.
4. Lauren mentioned that these Mini Brand toys are collectible and all the rage. Am I entirely sure what someone would do with a miniature bottle of soy sauce? Not exactly but I’m pretty sure they would be Barbie size.
7. Magnet blocks are another win when it comes to creativity and imaginary play. When we went away to the beach this summer, my sister packed these for the kids and they were played with many times during the day. She’s also gifting them this holiday too.
8-9. With all the time we are spending at home these days, having something that the kids can do while they are home is key. My niece was recently gifted a bracelet making kit and she was very excited about it. Arts and crafts are an awesome way to be creative and can be shared- sending a loved one art to be enjoyed is always a good idea.
10. These water bottles keep water cold for hours and have a small straw spout that makes drinking super easy. Lauren mentioned that the straw makes drinking while mask wearing possible too. Her kids have many different bottles like this and are very well loved.
11. Hatching eggs are not only fun to “hatch” but getting to have a surprise inside is even better.
12. Books of any kind are always a great idea. One tradition Lauren does is each she wraps her existing Christmas books and puts them under her tree. Each night before bed she lets the kids pick out one to open and read. Not only is it fun to open a gift early but its a fun way to inspire reading within your home. Cozy Nativity Book, The Night Before Christmas, The Littlest Reindeer.
13. Each year, Lauren creates a “Christmas Eve” box for her kids. Inside the box she puts a new pair of Christmas Jammies, a Christmas book, A Christmas Movie (this can be streamed from online or watched on TV) hot cocoa mix (to be enjoyed during the movie) and an ornament to commemorate the year. Many of these items can be found on sale making this gift thoughtful and price conscious. Great places to get ornaments include: Target, Walmart and Cracker Barrel.
Whether you are shopping for your kiddos, nieces, nephews and beyond- you are sure to put a smile on their face with anything from this list!
Until next time,